Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Last Night I Googled Myself



At 3:30am last night I googled myself. Whoa! That sounds a bit conceited but I can explain. Last night I was experiencing a bit of insomnia and I had already did the kill time things such as client research, online window shopping, browsed Pinterest, and watched a few videos on Youtube. I digress, when I googled myself I discovered that there had been a lot of things that I forgot I was a part of yet I discovered that there was a lot of valuable information for young inspiring pr professionals that I had shared some insight with. 

I decided to use my personal platform to share a blog post I wrote in 2013 for Eastern Michigan University PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America). I wanted to "pay it forward" by giving these students a heads up and now I want to share it with my readers. 

The Importance of Starting Now 

It's been 7 years since I graduated from college and 4 years since I conceived the idea of starting my own public relations boutique.

BUT I ALWAYS THINK TO MYSELF IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW I WOULD HAVE DONE A FEW THINGS DIFFERENTLY IN COLLEGE.

Luckily, if you’re reading this, you’re still in college so here are some things that you can do now to prepare for later.

Write every day. When I was in college blogs were new on the web. I remember a friend telling me her college professor informed her that blogging would be the next big thing. So I investigated and I saw the potential, but I did not have the time to spend on writing everyday, or so I thought. Now writing is the most biggest and crucial part of my job. With a blog you could practice writing, use it as a writing sample when applying to a job, and potentially create another stream of income. Utilizing these platforms will only help you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment