Monday, August 12, 2013

Pay It Forward.





As I attended my last open house for one of my three mentees from this past school year, I decided to reflect on the good times I had with these three phenomenal young women and share the initial reason why I mentor and why I decided to continue to pay it forward.

It all started when I was in the first grade,  my teacher called on me and asked "Teia, what do you want to be when you grow up?" It wasn't hard for me to figure it out I knew right then and there I wanted to be a school teacher. This career stuck with me until my junior year of high school when I realized I had other interests I wanted to explore. By the time I reached college, I was completely done with the idea of becoming a teacher because I was absolutely head over heels with the idea of becoming a publicist.
As time went on I did desire to help children where I could and that's when I discovered mentoring. Since I started as a mentor it has been one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences I have ever encountered and it's something I plan on doing for years to come.

Here's a look back of my mentoring experiences with Kayla, Mercedes and Deja during their senior year of high school.

Introducing the Trailblazers (Deja, Mercedes, & Kayla) "Leaving a glitter trail"
Holiday Tins filled with goodies for the ladies. (you'll learn I love gift giving)
Of course we had a nail party during one of our sessions in true Teia fashion. 
I attended each of my girls open house after graduation. A proud mentor.


If you're interested in becoming a mentor and looking for programs to join, I currently mentor for Winning Futures and Urban Rose Foundation Summer Camp.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment